“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure.
There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.”


Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Weekend Escapade in Tagaytay/Anilao

As the Britney Spears song goes “Oops, I did it again!”, I was back in Anilao last June 6, 2010, diving to my heart’s content. This was my 3rd visit to Anilao in less than a month. I didn’t really think I would be back that soon. However, fate had it for my family and I to once again commune with mother nature.

My husband’s older brother Ric was in the country for a short visit with his family. We decided to take them out of town for some rest and recreation. Upon learning that Caloy and I just got certified as divers, Ric’s children, Patrick and Anne, wanted to give it a try. We suggested an overnight stay in Canyon Woods, which is a resort community on the way to Anilao; followed by a day trip to Dive and Trek the next morning.

My boys, Matt, Andrew and Timothy, were very excited to be with their cousins again. The five of them grew up together in Fairview where our ancestral home was. Ric and his wife Ofel decided to migrate to the United States some six years back. My children last saw them when we visited the US in 2006. That weekend in Canyon Woods and Anilao was a chance for all of us to reminisce our past and catch up with the present.

The Roxas families in Canyon Woods

We started our weekend escapade with a golf game in Canyon Woods. What would normally take us two hours to finish a nine-hole game took us five hours! There were six of us in one flight – Caloy, Matthew and I; Ric, Ofel and Patrick. Since it was just a leisurely game, we took time practicing each shot. I was actually surprised that Ric and Ofel took a liking to this unforgiving sport. It was fun playing with them, trying to conquer the narrow and exquisitely challenging course of Canyon Woods. I took it as an opportunity to practice my swing since the following Monday was my competition with the Women Golf Association of the Philippines.

Matt, with his Tito Ric, about to make his putt

It took us 5 hours to finish 9 holes!!!

We took off for Anilao early the following morning. I was astonished with the milieu of divers, both foreign and local, that day in Dive and Trek Resort. Apparently, there exists a diving community I am not privy of until recently. I should not be surprised though since the Philippines is known for its beautiful reefs and aquatic resources. That moment, I felt privileged to be among the few who can witness one of nature’s hidden spectacles.

Our boat ride to Dive and Trek in Anilao

While Patrick and Anne waited for their turn for their introductory dive, Caloy and I got immediately dressed in our wetsuits for that dip in the ocean. I was amazed how at ease I was, exhilarated by the chance for another underwater dive. I remember just last week during our check out, I almost gave up because of fear. I just emptied my mind with negative thoughts and took to the water like a fish.

Patrick and Anne doing introductory dive lessons while everyone listened.

My first dive that morning was interesting. I saw the usual parrotfish, angelfish, dory and other tropical fishes circling around me. There were all sorts of marine creature in various colors. They had the best color combination a fashion designer would be envy of. Some of the more unusual ones I saw were the lionfish, trumpet fish, and giant clams. The clams came in different shapes. Their lips were of different colors, too. There was one in deep violet with a sprinkling of white luminous dots. Other clams were bluish while others were bland. Some were opening and closing their gigantic mouths while others were spewing some dust clouds. There was even a blowfish or butete resting in a magnolia-like coral. It was captivating! What was different about this dive was the sight of several divers under the ocean with me. I felt like an intruder, together with them, in this sublime environment.


Diving really takes some practice. By my second dive, I already set a goal in mind. In my previous dives, I was just following the lead of the dive master. This time, I knew what I wanted to see. So Conrad, our dive master, took my husband and I down 70 feet to see the Grotto, Bat Cave and Basilica dive sites, as I suggested. During this dive, I felt very relaxed and in control. Equalization was a breeze and adjusting my buoyancy was child play.

Caloy feeding the fishes with breadcrumbs

While we were swimming with the fishes, my boys and Ric’s family enjoyed snorkeling under the leaden sky and playing with Bogart, the resort's Golden Retriever. Ric thought my husband Caloy was joking when he said that Bogart could dive under the ocean to retrieve a tossed bottle of coke. It was actually the resort manager, Alex, who threw the bottle to the ocean to show-off Bogart's unique talent. The kids had a heyday watching Bogart pull off his stunt.

Timothy, Anne and Austin

Andrew and Anne clowning around


Matt and Patrick, pooped from the day's activities

The current was getting stronger that afternoon since the southwest wind or hanging habagat had arrived. We finally called it a day and by 5:30 pm, our banca brought us back to land. That boat ride back was an experience by itself. The waves were rough, slapping our boat with its hefty hand. Our banca was carried by the turbulent waves, lifting it up then pulling it down over and over again like a giant roller coaster ride. I sat beside the boatman who was maneuvering our banca. I saw how relaxed he was despite the whopping waves. I decided we were in safe hands.

The cousins

We all had fun!

We headed for home by 6 pm; had a bountiful Filipino dinner at Bali Resort in Tagaytay; and reached our unit at The Fort by past 10.

It was a great weekend escapade. We enjoyed the company of Ric and Ofel, Patrick and Anne; the sumptuous food, the leisurely golf game and the relaxing dive. What else could we ask for! As Louie Armstrong would sing, “What a wonderful world!

1 comment:

jetzky said...

hi marshmarlow! Wow! Wish i was there. Wish i could do that. Good on ya chayil woman! Lovyah n lotza hugs, jette aka purplette