“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure.
There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.”


Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Breathless in Seattle

Coffee… Microsoft… Tom Hanks… and Nerissa! Those were the first things that came to my mind when I decided to visit Seattle in 2008.


My husband went back home ahead of me after less than two weeks break in the US. I thought of staying a week more to visit one of my best friends forever, Nerissa. She had been my frequent travel companion every time I visited the US sans my husband. The first time I was there in 2000, she joined me in San Francisco. We were together in Los Angeles and New York in separate occasions. I’ve never been to her home state, Washington, so I took the opportunity of paying her a visit.

Jude and Nerissa Ong: At home in Seattle


It was a joy seeing her and her husband Jude. We grew up together in Manila with my other “bff,” Junette and Jacqui. Young and restless, the three of them chose to migrate to other lands while I stayed behind in the land of my birth. Junette and Jacqui settled in Sydney while Nerissa moved to Seattle.


Nerissa is as colorful and exciting as Seattle’s waterfront and picturesque mountains. We had a great time reminiscing about our childhood days while going around Seattle’s tourist spots. Vibrant and loquacious, Nerissa entertained me with her life dramas and funny anecdotes.


She and Jude took me around the interesting parts of the Emerald City. My idea of Seattle came from the Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan movie, Sleepless in Seattle. But now, I guess, Seattle is more famous as the home of Microsoft, Starbucks, and Amazon.com.

The original facade of the very first Starbucks coffee shop


We wandered over to Pike Place Market where the first Starbucks store is located. It is fascinating to think how a small coffee shop grew into a multimillion international brand. They retained the original façade of the coffee shop for posterity. The coffee shop was packed inside, maybe by tourists wanting a taste of coffee history. Nerissa bought me a Starbucks mug as a memento of my visit here.


In Pike Place Market, one can find an array of colorful fishes, flowers and crafts. Market vendors, who threw their fish back and forth to each other while singing some tune, entertained us. I got to taste the freshest smoked salmon I ever had. There were assortments of sea creatures up for sale – from Alaskan king crab to monkfish. The market is a haven for cooks and food lovers. Outside the market area, people played music or danced or did some creative stuff to attract attention, which gave Pike Place an interestingly good vibe.



Seattle has one of the most magnificent seaports in the US, if not the world. When I was there, I saw the Norwegian Pearl docked at the Pier. I have never seen such a humongous cruise ship before. I promised myself that I would ride a similar cruise ship when I come back in the future.

Nerissa, Jude and I with the Norwegian Pearl in the background


We then wandered down to their waterfront where the Seattle Aquarium and Odyssey Maritime Discovery Center were located. I got to taste the best “seafood chowder” at Anthony’s and famous “fish and chips” at Ivars.



Seattle’s most famous landmark is the Space Needle. We passed by it several times but decided not to enter. Nerissa instead brought me to a hilltop where I had the best view of Seattle that included the Space Needle and Mt. Rainier. It was absolutely breathtaking!



Such breathtaking sight!


I was very fortunate during my visit because the sun was shining high. Most movies I saw with Seattle as the setting almost always visibly shows silvery clouds passing by. Seattle can have variable weather – from light drizzle to sun to cloud to rainstorm to sun to clouds and finally back to drizzle - all in about two hours. Those few days I was there, the sun was cheery and bright. People were out in the parks, basking under the bashful sun. But on my last day, I got to experience Seattle’s infamous gray clouds. It made me remember some chilly, overcast scenes from the Twilight movie.

Having some girl time in Seattle under the bright, sunny skies


I just had such wonderful time in Seattle. I am so grateful for my bff, Nerissa, for the time she spent showing me around her adopted city. I know there are more interesting places there waiting for me to discover. I promise myself to come back to the Emerald City one day. Hopefully, as part of a launching pad to an Alaskan cruise or Vancouver escapade.

No comments: