“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure.
There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.”


Thursday, May 13, 2010

Diving Bliss


Last May 7 - 9, 2010, my family and I were invited to join our church group for bonding time in Anilao, Batangas. It was organized by my bff, Kay Hernandez and her hubby, Mike. Every time we went to Anilao, we would book in Dive and Trek resort which had one of the best snorkeling and diving spots. Armed with our sunblocks, hats, sunglasses (and bikini!), we braved the sun for this summer treat.

My husband Caloy and I took this opportunity to practice our diving skills. We took PADI lessons the summer of 2009. However, our check out (diving graduation) got delayed for a year due to the early onset of the rainy season. We still have to do our check out by the end of this month. Hopefully, we could get our PADI license by then.

Ready with our own wetsuit, booties, snorkelers, we rented the BCD and oxygen tank for a morning dive. Mike joined us, he being a licensed PADI diver since college. Since Caloy and I were still unlicensed, we hired a Dive Master to orient us again with the mechanics of diving.

I was a bit apprehensive, having last dove in a pool session almost a year ago. I had to refresh my memory real fast regarding equalization, buoyancy, hand signals, and other emergency skills. Actually, it was the equalization of air in the open spaces of the body (like ears and sinuses) that got me worried. The pain in the ears and sinuses could be excruciating if not properly equalized.

We dove for an hour. At first, I was struggling with my buoyancy. I had to relearn how to go low by using my breath; and how to rise up using my BCD. Eventually, I got the hang of it. I was just floating amongst the corals and fishes, feeling like one of them. I was swimming with the parrot fish, angelfish, clownfish, and other colorful creatures in the water. It was fascinating to see how some of these fish would swim in synchronicity. I felt very present, very in the "now." It was almost like a meditation... being surrounded by God's other creation. It felt like time stood still.



Caloy (left), Mike (right), and I (center).

When we were about 40 feet deep, we were rewarded with the sight of a huge turtle feeding on some algae stuck among the rocks. It took my breath away, really!!! I was totally excited that I kept breathing fast. I had to remember to just take deep yet slow breaths. It was an awesome sight! Caloy and Mike were lucky to see a moray eel. My eyes were probably busy elsewhere that I missed it.

I didn't want to miss this photo opportunity!

I had such a pleasurable dive. I am so looking forward to doing my check-out this May 29. Once I have my PADI's license, that's one off my bucket list.

Our dive buddy, Mike Hernandez

Caloy surrounded by marine life


Awesome!!!! Can't wait for my next dive....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Great Photos! Can't wait to read your next diving adventure. Try to Dive in Indonesia. They have a lot to offer to for scuba divers.